Rat Infestation: How to Get Rid of Rats
If you have a rat infestation in your home, it is important to take the steps necessary for eradication.
Rats can cause many problems in and around your home. They can leave droppings and urine wherever they go, which is unsanitary and may lead to diseases. Their burrows can cause structural damage to buildings or homes by weakening foundations or walls. And rats also carry parasites that may be hazardous if left untreated.
Luckily there are several different ways of getting rid of rodents from your property:
- Traps - These help control the population without killing them. If you decide this route, make sure you bait.
- Snap Trap / Quick Kill Traps- These traps kill rodents instantly and are typically used in areas where there's a lot of rat activity such as an attic, garage or basement.
- Exclusion - Use materials to seal up holes in your home's exterior or interior walls. This is a good way of preventing rats from taking over your property.
- Fumigation - Many pest control companies offer this service, which uses a gas that will kill rodents on contact.
- Rodenticide Pellets - These are pellets that can be placed around an infested area so that they might feed off them.
Clean Up Your House Regularly
One important way to prevent a rat infestation is to clean your property on a regular basis. You can start by doing the following things.
- Keep rubbish out of sight. They will eat just about anything. So keep the bins sealed at all times.
- Store food in tightly closed containers or sealed bags (never leave pet food outside)
- Clean up spilled foods and liquids immediately after they happen; rats are attracted to the smell of rotting leftovers. Rats can quickly become a major problem when given an opportunity, so take these steps very seriously.
If you are unsure about anything related to rat extermination, consider calling a licensed exterminator for help. Van Vynck Professional Bird and Pest Control is one of the best pest control services in the area. We have the right tools and equipment to get rid of your rat problem once and for all. However once we are done, you have to be very careful to not invite rats again by keeping your house or office dirty.